I’m still getting the hang of Mail Chimp so continue to bear with me. The news of the day in random order:
1. Firstly, let me welcome Alden Mucciorone, Rex Zhu and Dagan Jackson to the club. Alden has been coming to club for some time but I am only now figuring out what Mail Chimp buttons to push to get him on the mailing list.
2. We continue to meet in the Teen Room at the Y until 316 is renovated. Our attendance has been good given the change to Wednesday night.
3. We continue also to run our Game 15 Minute tournaments at club but I want to point out to all that if you would prefer to play a longer time control game, just let me know and we will find you an opponent. The same goes for Game 5 Minute players!
4. R. Boston, B. Robinson, B. Kendricks and J. Kade traveled to Crossville for the Cumberland County Fall Open. They put in a good showing. You can see the results on the USCF web site.
5. We are looking to have our club championship, at the Y, on one the last two Saturdays in November. Call me or drop me a line to let me know what date you prefer. I will announce a day soon.
6. I have included a tactics problem from a very old game. I will try to have one with each newsletter or, possibly, an end game problem which I hope with be instructive for all. Remember, where tactics are concerned, the forced continuation is the only path. The theme in this case is “decoy.”
Anderssen – Kieseritsky, Berlin, 1853. White to move.